Questionnaire of Communication about Sexual Education in the School – Adolescent Version (QCSES-AV)
Questionário de Comunicação em Educação Sexual na Escola – Versão AdolescentesPortuguese Version
Carvalho, C. P., Pinheiro, M. R., Vilar, D., & Pinto Gouveia, J. (2014)General Description
This self-report instrument is composed of two sections. The first section, composed of 23 items, evaluates the perception of adolescents about their own communication competences in approaching sexual education with their professors and the frequency with which, in the last month, they used them. The second section is composed of 11 items and assesses the adolescents’ perceptions about the communication strategies used by professors and the frequency with which, in the last month, the professors applied them in the context of scholar sexual education. The results of the dimensionality analysis of the first section of the scale, revealed a three-dimensional structure, composed of three factors:
- F1 – Communication competencies based on information sharing (items 8, 9, 12, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23) (α=.95);
- F2 – Communication competencies based on emotional attention (items 10, 11, 13, 14 and 16) (α=.91);
- F3 – Communication competencies based on ambience management and seeking support (items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7) (α=.90).
The results of the dimensionality analysis of the second section of the scale revealed a two-dimensional structure, composed of two factors:
- F1 – Communication strategies based on manipulation (items 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 11) (α=.92);
- F2 – Communication strategies based on assertiveness (items 3, 4, 9 and 10) (α=.87).
Carvalho, C. P., Pinheiro, M. R., Vilar, D., & Pinto Gouveia, J. (2014). Communication Questionnaire on Sexual Education at School – Teenage Version: Validation study with Portuguese youth. Revista Saúde Reprodutiva, Sexualidade e Sociedade, 4, 21-32. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/47081